Become EDI Compliant with Amazon.com
Amazon was founded in 1994 and since has become the largest internet based retailer in the United States. Its main focus at first was to be an online bookstore but has since expanded into selling DVD’s, CD’s, video games, apparel, furniture, and many other types of consumer products. Because of Amazon's success and global reach, it is a popular retailer where vendors want their products.
Amazon is extremely environmentally friendly and they do everything in their power to reduce their carbon footprint. Amazon’s corporate headquarters was awarded the LEED Gold certification for sustainable design and construction methods. LEED, which stands for "Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design," recognizes the industry's most environmentally conscious projects.
EDI documents are communicated through a transmission method called AS/2 (Applicability Statement 2). The following EDI document types and labels have been fully tested by CovalentWorks for exact compliance with Amazon’s EDI specifications. Support for Amazon US, Amazon Canada, Amazon UK, and Amazon EU SARL is included.
Amazon EDI Requirements
- 753 Request for Routing Instructions
- 754 Routing Instructions
- 810 Invoice
- 820 Remittance Advice
- 846 Inventory Update
- 850 Purchase Order
- 852 Product Activity Data
- 855 Purchase Order Acknowledgement
- 856 Advanced Ship Notice
- 860 Purchase Order Change
- 865 Purchase Order Change Acknowledgment
- 997 Acknowledgement
- GS1-128 (formerly called UCC-128) bar code shipping labels
Amazon stipulates several different kinds of labels when a purchase order is fulfilled. Examples of label types include:
- Shipping 1 SKU per carton
- Shipping 1 SKU per carton in own container
- No Pro number, Bill of Lading number
- One UPC with expiration and Lot Number
- 1 SKU per pallet
- 1 SKU per pallet with item description added
Mixed SKU’s per pallet
The ASN (Advance Shipping Notice) transaction is mandatory. The ASN will have detailed information about the items that are being shipped and how they are being transported. For example, the Gross Weight, SCAC code, Date, and Carrier Tracking number for small par will be included as well as information directly from the purchase order.
Amazon uses the SOPI format for ASN’s. SOPI stands for Shipment, Order, Pack (carton) and Item. SOPI is also known as “Pick and Pack” because more than one type of item can be included in the same carton. Amazon uses several variations of SOPI ASN’s. Here are some examples:
- Small parcel with shipment weight calculated per carton
- Small parcel shipment of perishable products
- Truckload and LTL shipments for perishable products for Amazon US, Amazon Canada, Amazon UK, and Amazon EU
- Truckload and LTL shipments for non-perishable products
Here are few label samples: