Walmart EDI Compliance
Walmart is a well known discount department store that serves customers all over the world. Walmart is one of the world’s largest companies by revenue and market value, making it one of the most popular partners our customers want to become EDI compliant with. The company operates over 11,700 stores offering and has approximately 2.3 million employees.
Walmart offers a wide assortment of products including apparel and footwear. It operates as a discount store, supercenter, supermarket, warehouse club and online merchant. Walmart is aggressively expanding the number of products available on Walmart.com.
With Walmart's huge presence and brand, it is one of the biggest retailers with whom suppliers want to do business. To do that, electronic data interchange is incredibly important, but can be a complicated process for small businesses and suppliers. CovalentWorks specializes in making EDI as easy as email® so you can quickly and easily make your company EDI compliant with Walmart and Walmart.com.
EDI documents are communicated using the encrypted protocol AS/2 (Applicability Statement 2). The following EDI document types and labels are required by Walmart and have been completely tested by CovalentWorks for precise compliance with Walmart and Walmart.com EDI qualifications.
Walmart EDI Requirements
- 204 Motor Carrier Load Tender
- 212 Motor Carrier Trailer Manifest
- 214 Transportation Carrier Shipment Status
- 810 Invoice
- 812 Credit/Debit Adjustment
- 816 Organizational Relationships
- 820 Remittance Advice
- 830 Planning Schedule
- 846 Inventory Inquiry/Advice
- 850 Purchase Order
- 852 Sales Product Activity Report
- 855 Purchase Order Response
- 856 Advance Ship Notice
- 861 Receiving Advice
- 862 Shipping Schedule
- 864 Text Message
- 940 Warehouse Shipping Order
- 945 Warehouse Shipping Advice
- 990 Response to Load Tender
- 997 Acknowledgement
- Branded packing slips for drop shipments
- GS1-128 (formerly called UCC-128) bar code shipping labels
Walmart requires several kinds of labels when suppliers ship orders. Some of these labels types are:
- Single SKU, Auto populate DC number, extract from PO data
- Mixed SKUs, Auto populate DC number, extract from PO data
- Label with BOL
- Direct to Store, NON-DSDC program
- Direct To Store label in DSDC program
- DSDC program; Single PO per pack/container
- Custom label with Carton Index (carton 1 of total in shipment)
- DSDC program; Direct to Store; Ship To has Store Address
- Item Description matching ASN
- Item Description and DC number mapped to ASN
- Optional fields: Pro number, Bill of Lading number will not show in label; Item Description: Autofill
- Optional fields: Pro number, Bill of Lading number if enter in ASN; Item Description: Autofill
- SDQ PO type
- SDQ PO type, Ship To in the MTX section
- SDQ PO Type with both BOL number and Pro number
- Label B ST, is in PO level; Xref to pull DC/Store Location #; PALLET label for SINGLE SKU per container
- SCC14 4x2 Label, ITF-14 barcode only
- SCC14 Frame 4x2 Label, ITF-14 barcode only (Framed barcode)
- DSDC Pick and Pack C
The ASN (Advance Shipping Notice) contains detailed information about the products that are being sent to Walmart and as well as transportation information. For example, the SCAC code, Bill of Lading, shipped date and customer order number will be included in addition to data that comes from the purchase order.
Walmart uses the SOPI format for ASN’s. SOPI stands for Shipment, Order, Pack (carton) and Item. SOPI is also known as “Pick and Pack” because more than one type of item can be packed into the same carton.
Walmart uses a cross docking system which helps accelerate the delivery process. Cross docking is a logistics system where products from a contractor are transported to a store through a distribution center. Trucks from the suppliers dock on one side of the supply center and trucks going out to the stores dock on the other side of the supplier center. Product is not usually stored at the supply center. Cross docking aids in reducing handling and storage time.
Below are three sample labels: